FILMS | SCHEDULE | ABOUT TIFF | EVENTS | SEARCH | SUBMIT FILMS | SPONSORS | PRESS | SHOP | TIBURON FILM SOCIETY | ARCHIVE | PHOTO GALLERY | LODGING | SITEMAP
---- A Star is Born
Running Time: 110 minutes
Venue: Playhouse Theater [40 Main Street]
Cast: Janet Gaynor, Fredric March, Adolphe Menjou, May Robson , Andy Devine, Lionel Stander, Owen Moore
Showtime: Sunday, April 14, 2019 @ 06:00 PM
Director: William Wellman
Description: When a young actress (Janet Gaynor) arrives in Hollywood with hopes of stardom, a chance encounter places her under the wing of older actor Norman Maine (Fredric March). Adopting the stage name Vicki Lester, she co-stars with Norman in a major motion picture, but his success is clearly fading even as her career begins. After the couple wed, Vicki's fame continues to grow, but Norman descends into alcoholism, and she must decide between pursuing her dream and caring for him.
Attending: William Wellman Jr.
Some Fun Facts About the Movie:
- At the 10th Academy Awards, A Star is Born was nominated in seven categories, winning in one. William Wellman won the award for the original story, the only Oscar he was to win during his career. W. Howard Greene received an honorary Academy Award for the film's color photography; this award was recommended by a committee of leading cinematographers after viewing all the color pictures made during the year.
- A Star Is Born has been remade three times, in 1954 with Judy Garland and James Mason, in 1976 with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson, and in 2018 with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.
- The script for this version was partly written by Dorothy Parker and Alan Campbell. It is very well directed by William Wellman who draws first-rate performances from the supporting cast, in particular, Lionel Stander as a heartless, slime-ball studio hack. This remains the best of the three versions to come thus far.
- A Star is Born, sung by Buddy Clark with the orchestra of Eddy Duchin. The lyrics were written by Dorothy Dick to the music of Max Steiner (of Gone With the Wind).
- A Star Is Born wasn’t Selznick’s invention so much as it was director William A. Wellman’s baby — he devised the outline of the story with screenwriter Robert Carson. Wellman brought the project to Selznick.
- Some film historians believe that the marriage of Barbara Stanwyck and Frank Fay was the film's real-life inspiration.
- A Hollywood myth about the film is that Lana Turner appeared as an extra in one of the scenes in the film.
Back to Films
Click Here To Buy Tickets
Tiburon International Film Festival © 2001-2019. All Rights Reserved
info@TiburonFilmFestival.com | Phone: (415) 251-TIFF 
Online cash advance loans provided by our company – NeedRapidCashMoney.com